Mission and Values
St. Mary's Academy, sponsored by the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary since 1859, is a Catholic high school for young women, providing a challenging college-preparatory education in a vibrant learning environment.
Guided by the values and charism of the Sisters, St. Mary's fosters a diverse community, educates the whole person by nurturing spirituality, encouraging creativity, promoting justice, and inspiring a sense of global interdependence to prepare students for service and leadership.
St. Mary's Academy is sponsored by the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary and belongs to the SNJM Network of Schools. The Network members share a sense of stewardship based on these key values, from which the “characteristics of an SNJM school” were developed.
Our mission is rooted in:
- Full development of the human person
- Cultivating and respecting the talents, abilities, and potential of each person, contributing to the development of all aspects of a person’s life
- Education in the faith: Creating an atmosphere which invites people to live, develop and express their faith
- Hospitality: Being a gracious, accepting, and welcoming presence for each person
- Dedication to women and children: Seeing, understanding, and responding to the needs of women and children
- Dedication to justice: Committing time, energy, and resources to the pursuit of right relationships of equality, justice and solidarity
- Service to people who are poor or marginalized: Reaching out and responding to people who are impoverished, abandoned, or living at the fringes of society
- Commitment to liberating action: Seeking with others the freedom needed to live life fully without oppression
- Love for the names and persons of Jesus and Mary: Embracing as guide, inspiration, and strength the persons and names of Jesus and Mary