- St. Mary’s Academy is a Catholic high school for
young women that provides a challenging college-preparatory education in
a supportive learning environment.
- In the heart of downtown Portland, Ore., St. Mary's Academy is located off
Southwest Fifth Avenue near Portland State University
between Mill and Market streets.
- The mission of St. Mary’s is to educate the whole person by
nurturing spirituality, encouraging creativity, promoting justice and
inspiring a sense of global interdependence to prepare students for
service and leadership.
- Founded in 1859 by the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary, St. Mary’s Academy is Oregon’s oldest continuously operating secondary school.
- St. Mary’s Academy is Oregon’s only school to have received three U.S. Department of Education Blue Ribbon Schools awards.
women from more than 30 urban, suburban and rural communities in Oregon and Southwest Washington comprise the student body at St. Mary's Academy.
- With a diverse student body, there is no such thing as a typical
St. Mary’s student. Furthermore, students do not wear uniforms and have
not since the late 1970s.
- The school colors are white and blue, and the mascot is an eighth note dubbed “Ella." The team name is the