St. Mary's Academy accepts transfer student applications on a space-available basis for entry in the fall as well as mid-year entry for the second semester in late January. The first step for any student interested in transferring is to schedule a shadow visit and experience SMA student life firsthand. This first step will help her decide if she would like to move forward with a transfer application.
Transfer applications are handled on an individual basis and no set deadlines are established. Applicants for fall term 2017 are encouraged to submit their applications for admission by April 3, 2017, especially if the family has applied for financial aid. Admission to the school always precedes financial aid decisions.
Minimum Admissions Standards
- A 2.0 GPA with no D or F grades in core subjects.
- Satisfactory behavioral and attendance records.
- Satisfactory recommendations from current principal, math and English teachers.
- Successful completion of appropriate number of credit hours for current status to reach fulfillment of the St. Mary's Academy graduation requirements.
Transfer Student Admission Process Checklist
- Schedule a shadow visit and experience the SMA community firsthand.
- Submit an online application for admission.
- Apply for financial aid (if applicable) by April 3, 2017. Transfer applicants must complete the Transfer and Returning Student Aid Application Form. Click here for more information about financial aid.
- Request Teacher Recommendations and Transcripts. All applicants are required to submit English, math, and Principal/Counselor recommendations. Recommendation and transcript requests are completed online via Schoolrecs.com. The link to the online recommendation system will be sent via e-mail to each student who submits an application for admission to St. Mary's.
- Attend an applicant family interview. After receiving the completed application for admission, the Office of Admissions will contact you to schedule an interview to discuss your desires to transfer, your educational goals, and your previous educational experiences.
Admission decisions are usually mailed to applicants within two weeks of completion of the application process.
St. Mary's Academy has been educating Oregon's best and brightest young women since 1859. The school has a rich and long-standing history in the city of Portland. St. Mary's Academy offers students a challenging, college-preparatory curriculum, including over 20 AP and honors classes, world languages, performing and visual arts, advanced science and math programs, as well as dual-credit college courses. Click here to view our full course catalog for the 2016-17 school year.
We encourage international students to join one of our 12 athletic teams, become a member of one of our interest clubs, or participate in a co-curricular activity such as our science mentorship program or dance company.
There is much excitement and experiential learning that comes from attending a high school located in an urban, downtown environment. Downtown Portland acts as an extended campus for St. Mary’s students and, as a result, our students are more independent and ready for college after four years in our urban setting.
For questions relating to our academic program or student life, please contact the Office of Admissions at email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you.