At a Glance 2013-2014
Ethnicity of students:
Caucasian 73%, Asian/Pacific Islander 12%, African American 6%, Hispanic 6%,
Multi-Racial 2%, Middle Eastern <1%, Native American <1%
Catholic students: 49%
Financial aid awarded: $1.39 million
Families receiving financial aid: 41%
Graduates accepted to college: 100%
2013 merit-based scholarship offers: $22 million
Faculty with advanced degrees: 79%
Student/teacher ratio: 17:1
Average class size: 22
SAT Scores: SMA 1783; OR 1539; National 1498
ACT Scores: SMA 26.6; OR 21.5; National 20.9
Profile of Distinction
• TRADITION: Founded in 1859 by the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary, St. Mary’s Academy is Oregon’s only all-girls’ school and oldest continuously operating secondary school, with more than 10,000 alumnae. Our unique environment for leadership development builds self-confidence and provides continual opportunities for empowerment.
• MISSION: Gospel values are nurtured through religion classes, daily prayer, school liturgies and retreats. Committed to living our faith through dedication to social justice, all staff and students participate in service.
• EXCELLENT COLLEGE PREPAREDNESS: At nearly 250 points higher than the state average on SAT scores, our students consistently demonstrate excellence across content areas. All 2013 graduates were accepted to college.
• SCHOLARSHIPS: The class of 2013 was offered $22 million in merit scholarships at more than 120 colleges and universities.
• ADVANCED PLACEMENT: 89 percent of students earned three or better on exams, with 52 percent of students earning five. Tests are scored from one to five, and a score of three or better will earn college credit at many universities.
• WIRED TO LEARN: As the first Catholic high school in Oregon to implement a 1:1 iPad program, all students use this mobile device for dynamic learning every day to build skills and knowledge for the 21st century. Technology is a priority, and St. Mary’s wireless environment delivers advanced access throughout campus. Classrooms, labs and the library are equipped with LCD projectors and document cameras, and are heavily supported with subscriptions to digital media.
• AWARDS: St. Mary's celebrates the achievements of the 146 accomplished young women comprising the class of 2013: four National Merit Scholarship Program Finalists, nine National Merit Scholarship Program Commended Students, one National Achievement Finalist and two National Hispanic Recognition Program Scholars. These seniors earned three National Art Honor Society Honor Cords, 60 Service Honor Cords, 45 Scholar Athlete Cords, 15 Thespian Honor Cords, 14 Tri-M Music Honor Cords, 13 OSAA Music Scholar Cords and 70 National Honor Society Stoles.
• ATHLETIC CHAMPIONS: Our students have won 19 OSAA State Championships in six different sports and two Oregon Girls' Lacrosse Association State Titles. At the conference level, St. Mary’s teams have earned 71 titles, 41 as members of the Metro League and 30 in the Mt. Hood Conference, in addition to two OGLA PDX League titles. Our volleyball team won its fifth consecutive OSAA/Dairy Farmers of Oregon Academic All-State Competition at the 6A level in fall 2012 with a team average GPA of 3.91.
• ENGAGED: Eighty-nine percent of the student body is involved in extracurricular activities, including the award-winning Science Olympiad, mock trial, theater and Marian Singers programs, as well as Campus Ministry and Service team, student government and dragon boats.
• LEADERSHIP: St. Mary’s offers two unique mentoring programs: Teaching, Integrating and Exploring Science (TIES), which pairs our students with fifth-grade girls from local parochial schools, and the Alumna-Student Mentorship Program, where sophomores and juniors are paired with St. Mary’s alumnae for leadership development and college and career advice.
• METROPOLITAN: Our downtown location supports SMA students accessing PSU classes, OHSU internships, leading businesses and seats of government, as well as cultural opportunities such as top museums and theaters.
• NATIONAL PROMINENCE: St. Mary’s is the only school in Oregon to have received three U.S. Department of Education Blue Ribbon Schools Program Awards, recognizing academic excellence on a national level.
Click here to download a PDF of the Profile of Distinction