UPDATE: JANUARY 19
In the interest of the safety of our students, St. Mary's Academy will be closed tomorrow, Friday, January 20.
The key factors in this decision include:
- Predictions of 5-10,000 political protesters being drawn to the downtown core as early as 11:00 a.m.
- Tri-Met's announcement that they will likely close services in response to disruptions
- Our next-door neighbor, PSU's all campus walk-out scheduled for noon
- The internal messages being circulated by downtown businesses that are advising people to work from home or leave downtown by noon
For more information, families please check your inboxes for full details from Principal Clark. Thank you.
With inclement weather being a real possibility for much of the year here in Portland and with the safety of your daughters paramount in any decision we make, please read below the information about how school closures are decided.
On particularly bad weather days, including those with the threat of snow or ice, Principal Kelli Clark will make the decision about delay or closure by 6 a.m., taking the following into consideration:
- the large, diverse geographic area where our families live,
- the number of SMA student drivers on the road,
- what other school systems might be doing, knowing that many SMA families have children attending different institutions.
In addition, please note that we do NOT follow Portland Public School closures, although St. Mary’s and PPS often make similar decisions on days with inclement weather.
Additionally, the following are important to keep in mind on bad weather days:
- As always, please make the best decision for your daughter’s travel based on your location and circumstances. If she normally drives to school, consider having her take public transportation.
- In case of school closure, notifications are first put on the front page of our website, then Facebook and the FlashAlert system which is used by local radio and TV stations.
- In case of school closure, all activities and athletic events will be rescheduled.
Speaking of FlashAlert please be sure you and your daughter are subscribed to the system and that your contact information is current.
Go to the FlashAlert website to create an account and link to your email address:
To receive push notifications to your mobile device, you will need to download the FlashAlert app, which is available for both iOS and Android phones. Here are instructions:
For questions and/or assistance with FlashAlert visit: